Do you know a blanche from a braise?
Are you partial to poaching, and savvy about stir-fry?
Do you want to show the rest of Canada and the US just how great UofT is?
Food Services is looking for 4 skilled and dedicated students to compete in the Annual inter-university Iron Chef Competition hosted for the first time at The University of Toronto in February 2017.
The 4 chosen students and your coach, Executive Chef Jaco Lokker will have 2 hours to create a minimum number of dishes from a list of ingredients provided on the day of the competition. The team will be required to prepare 10 portions of each dish for the judges and 50 portions for students to sample.
Judging criteria includes team organization, sanitation, cooking skill and techniques, presentation, nutritional balance, creativity and of course, flavour. The team will be competing against other universities such as uOttowa, Yale, UMASS and past Gold Medal Winners McGill University.
To apply you must meet the following criteria:
- Participants must be currently registered in a part time or full time program at the University of Toronto
- Candidates must be available on the weekend of February 24, 25 & 26 2017.
- Candidates must be available for regular practice sessions of 1 evening per week for 6-8 weeks prior to the competition.
- The competition requires working knowledge of basic cooking techniques and knife skills along with a willingness to experiment with food. A passion for cooking is always helpful!
- If you have any kind of food allergies you must advise us during your application process.
To apply please fill out the form below.
Your application must have:
- A 250 words or less explanation of why you would like to be part of the University Iron Chef Team 2017.
- A written recipe and method for preparing a favourite dish.
- A photo of a plated portion of your prepared dish, with some form of UofT logo clearly visible somewhere in the photo. This could be your TCard, UofT swag etc.